Cricket West Indies is investigating reports that some members of the West Indies touring party to New Zealand broke the strict COVID-19 protocols within the Managed Isolation Facility in Christchurch.
New Zealand’s Health Ministry says the touring party will now be unable to train for the remainder of the quarantine period and will have to complete their quarantine within the Managed Isolation Facility only.
CWI says it is in full support of this position.
It says from the information received so far, the incidents in question included some players compromising the bubble integrity by mixing between two separate bubbles into which the West Indies party had been split.
They reportedly shared food and socialized in hallways, but are not believed to have left the facility or allowed unauthorized persons in.
Ahead of the tour to New Zealand, members had two negative COVID-19 tests before leaving the Caribbean, and two more tests in New Zealand – all the results were negative.
They had their final scheduled tests this morning and, results permitting, are due to leave the Isolation Facility on Friday to travel to Queenstown ahead of two warm-up matches against New Zealand “A”.