A new cricket tournament called “THE 6IXTY” will be played from August 24th to 28th at Warner Park, St Kitts and Nevis.
It will involve the six franchises from the Caribbean Premier League – Barbados Royals, Guyana Amazon Warriors, Jamaica Tallawahs, St Kitts and Nevis Patriots, St Lucia Kings and Trinbago Knight Riders.
Men’s and women’s teams will be in action.
Essentially, according to CPL, it’s a 60-ball format with innovations that will “change T10 cricket and make the game even faster paced and action packed.”
These new rules include:
- Each batting team has six wickets – at the fall of the sixth wicket they are all out
- Each batting team has two PowerPlay overs. They can unlock a third PowerPlay by hitting two sixes in the first 12 balls. This extra PowerPlay over can be taken at any time between overs 3-9
- There will be 30 balls bowled from one end before the action switches to the other end for the final 30 balls
- The 30 balls will be delivered as 5 separate overs, with no bowler being able to bowl more than 2 overs for the innings.
- If teams do not bowl their overs within the allotted time a member of their team is removed from the field for the final six balls
- Fans will vote for the timing of a “Mystery Free Hit” where a batter can’t be dismissed by the bowler
There are plans to eventually expand the tournament, which is a collaborative effort of Cricket West Indies and CPL, around the Caribbean and beyond.
The 2022 CPL gets underway on August 30th.