- Clashes broke out in Rio de Janeiro as police battled football fans with tear gas, after fighting broke out.
- Hong Kong’s leader Carrie Lam has said the government will “seriously reflect” after local elections saw 17 of the 18 district councils go to pro-democracy candidates.
- Billionaire former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg has officially announced he is standing to be the Democratic Party presidential nominee.
- A large cargo ship carrying more than 14,000 sheep has overturned off the coast of Romania, with rescuers scrambling to save the animals.
- At least 26 people were killed Sunday when a small plane crashed after takeoff into a house in a densely populated area of the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Today is the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women. The theme is Orange the World: Generation Equality Stands Against Rape.
- Atmospheric concentrations of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases once again reached new highs in 2018.