Staff at supermarkets will start to double mask immediately, and also wear face shields and PPE where possible.
Additionally, all promotions, advertising and specials have been suspended with immediate effect, collectively by all stores.
This notice comes from the Supermarket Association today, and follows the recent increase in COVID-19 infections and deaths.
Other measures include the previously announced restriction of one member per family policy, though it says there will be exceptions to single household persons and other such exemptions as necessary.
Also, in an effort to control crowds, it says it will ask the TTPS for SRPs and traffic wardens to assist with crowd management.
It warns that due to crowd control measures, there will be a long wait to enter the supermarkets and so, shoppers are urged not to make daily visits.
The Association also made a call to the Prime Minister to schedule media conferenced for later in the evening.
It says every time a media conference is held to address further restrictions, there is a wild run on the supermarkets and retail food outlets.
SATT’s full list of Pandemic Relief Measures are as follows:
- The lives and health of our staff is of paramount importance. We will be instructing our staff to double mask immediately and to wear face shields and PPE where possible.
- All promotions, advertising and specials have been suspended with immediate effect
collectively by all stores
- The strict implementation of the one (1) member per family policy with exceptions to single household persons and other such exemptions as necessary.
- In an effort to control crowds, we will be engaging with TTPS to ask for SRP’s and traffic
wardens to assist with crowd management
- We are asking the authorities to emphasize that it is an offence to congregate as such and we are asking where possible that persons should wait in their vehicles.
- There will be a long wait to enter the supermarkets. We are urging shoppers not to make daily visits to the supermarkets.
- Shopping carts have been limited to adjust to the capacity of persons that can be safely
circulated through stores as per recommendations
- The visibility of signage, pamphlet distribution and paraphernalia by the Ministry of Health will be increased to ensure increased compliance where necessary
- Member stores have already increased the factors including available registers to allow for the throughput of traffic circulation as smoothly as possible for faster turnaround period.
- The sale of large appliances and furniture are to be suspended immediately with the
exception of mini appliances and household items.
- We are asking the government to support the supermarkets by advising the public to listen, adhere and comply with the policies in play by the supermarkets.
- We are also requesting the TTPS to make an active effort to assist with crowd control in an effort to ensure compliance from customers as supermarkets do not have any formal
authority to take action against offenders.
- It is a well documented fact that every time a press conference is held by The Honourable Prime Minister to address further restrictions, there is a wild run on the supermarkets and retail food outlets. This trend, although baffling, leads us to advise that perhaps his press conferences be scheduled later in the evening.
WHAT IS DOUBLE MASKING?
Double masking is the wearing of one mask on top of another to improve the fit and filtration of your mask.
In its mask wearing guidelines, the US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention recommends adding layers of material.
This can either be done by using a cloth mask that has multiple layers of fabric, or wearing a disposable mask underneath a cloth mask.
See the CDC’s Mask Wearing Guidelines.