Health Minister Terrence Deyalsingh is encouraging persons to get vaccinated against the Influenza (flu) virus.
Today, Mr Deyalsingh himself received the shot, as the 2021 flu season begins.
He says it is even more important now, since large numbers of flu cases can overwhelm the health system and health care workers who are already dealing with COVID-19.
The flu vaccine is free and available for everyone at health centres, however those in high risk groups, are urged to get their shot early.
High-risk groups include:
- Children aged 6 months to 5 years
- Adults 60 years of age and over
- Pregnant women
- Persons with Non-Communicable Diseases such as Diabetes, Hypertension and Heart Disease
- Persons with compromised immune systems and chronic respiratory illnesses.
- Members of the National Security Forces and Customs and Immigration Division; and
- Healthcare workers.