T&TEC says it is investigating the death of a 57-year-old man by electrocution.
It says initial reports indicate the incident occurred around 2pm today.
Ramdath Ramlochan of SS Erin Road, Charlo Village, Penal, was moving a tall bamboo pole on his property when the bamboo made contact with T&TEC’s 132 kV transmission line.
Ramlochan fell to the ground, and relatives contacted police after being informed of the incident by a witness.
He was later pronounced dead on the site by the District Medical Officer.
T&TEC says injury to members of the public is an ongoing concern and warns that coming into contact with, or close to, overhead lines can cause electric shock or electrocution (death).