January 7th 2020 – 11:45pm:
Iran’s foreign minister Javad Zarif says his country does not want escalation or war, but warns it will defend itself.
His sentiments were expressed in a tweet shared following news that Iran had fired ballistic missiles at two air bases in Iraq that house US troops.
Iran took & concluded proportionate measures in self-defense under Article 51 of UN Charter targeting base from which cowardly armed attack against our citizens & senior officials were launched.
We do not seek escalation or war, but will defend ourselves against any aggression.
— Javad Zarif (@JZarif) January 8, 2020
It is still unclear if there have been any casualties.
However CNN says it has received information from a US military official that they did have enough early warning of the ballistic missile attack to sound the alarm.
The official says as a result, people in harm’s way were able to get to bunkers in time.
Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps confirmed they fired the missiles to retaliate for last week’s killing of Qassem Soleimani.
According to a report by Reuters, the statement also advised the United States to withdraw its troops from the region to prevent more deaths and warned U.S. allies including Israel not to allow attacks from their territories.