During the month of May, the National Council of Indian Culture will host several events to celebrate the 177th Anniversary of Indian Arrival Day.
- Friday 6th – “Evening of Folk Culture (Lok Sanskriti)” from 6:30pm to 8:30pm featuring Folk Songs; Kajri Bhajan, Vivah Geet, Traditional Chutney, Jhaal Ramayan, Chowtal, Biraha/Nagara, Pitchkaree & Local Composition. Presentation of items by Naresh Timal (Biraha Raja), Nisha Ramkissoon, Shiv Sangeet Sangh Ramayan Group, The Biraha Raja Chowtal Group, Rukminee Beepath and The ‘Rani’ Rasika Dindial.
- Saturday 14th – “Evening of Indian Classical Music (Shastriya Sangeet)” from 5pm to 7pm featuring items on the basuri, tabla, sitar, sarod, violin, harmonium and vocals by Rana Mohip, Shivanand Maharaj, Narinder Maharaj, Anil Maharaj, Sharda Patasar, Sachin Boodram, Arista Katwaroo, Sanjay Boodoosingh, Anup Ramsundar, Sadanand Brahmadat and Purwa Joshua.
- Saturday 21st – “Tribute to the Legends” from 5pm to 7:30pm with performances by Dubraj Persad, Devashish Ramdath, Karishma Dhowtal, Nirmala Seesnarayan, Veejai Ramkissoon, Moonilal Girdhari and The ‘Raja’ Rakesh Yankaran.
- Saturday 28th – “Evening of Dance” from 5pm to 7pm featuring Sandra Sookdeo Dance Group, ZeeTV Shiv Shakti Dance Group, Khalnayak Dance Academy, Prema Shakti Dancers & Theater Workshop, Radha Krishna Dance Group, Kiss Natraj Dance Co., Nritya Sangam Dance Group, Susan Mohip Dance Mohip and the Nritanjali Dance Theatre.
- Indian Arrival Day, Monday 30th – “Gormitya Ki Yatra (Journey of the Indentures)” from 5pm to 8pm featuring artistes such as Rana Mohip and the Sargam International Orchestra, Kimlyn Boodram-Persad, Mukesh Colai, Satnarine Ragoo, Saraswati Maharaj, Abhijit Anchortassoo, Nelisha Mohammed, Susan Mohip Dance Group, Rooplal G and more.
Also, on Sunday 22nd May between 5.30pm and 6.30pm, the NCIC will formally launch an exhibition of a Book Festival, Visual Arts and Design Display, Poster Display on the early years of Indian Cinema in T&T, along with a special feature (Display of Pottery).
This exhibition will run from Saturday May 21st to June 6th from 2pm to 7pm.
All events will be held at the NCIC Nagar, Narsaloo Ramaya Marg, Endeavor Road, Chaguanas and admission and parking is free to the public.
For further information you can call the NCIC office at 671-6242.