Disney+Hotstar will be bypassing theatrical releases in favour of digital ones, as screens remain closed due to the COVID-19.
In all, seven movies will be released digitally on the platform:
- “Laxmmi Bomb” – a comedy horror starring Akshay Kumar and Kiara Advani.
- “Bhuj: The Pride of India” – a war action film starring Ajay Devgn, Sanjay Dutt, Sonakshi Sinha
- “The Big Bull” – a biographical crime film starring Abhishek Bachchan, Nikita Dutta, Ileana D’Cruz
- “Sadak 2” – a drama starring Alia Bhatt, Sanjay Dutt, Pooja Bhatt, Aditya Roy Kapur
- “Dil Bechara” – a romatic drama starring the late Sushant Singh Rajput, Saif Ali Khan, Sanjana Sanghi
- “Khuda Haafiz” – a romantic action thriller starring Vidyut Jammwal and Shivaleeka Oberoi
- “Lootcase” – a comedy drama starring Kunal Khemu and Rasika Dugal
Sit back and enjoy Bollywood entertainment like never before! 7 biggest blockbusters are coming home to you with #DisneyPlusHotstarMultiplex! Which first day first show ki home delivery are you excited for the most? pic.twitter.com/s8IOlxI8qs
— Disney+HotstarVIP (@DisneyplusHSVIP) June 29, 2020
For Akshay Kumar in particular, this will be his first digital release in a career of nearly three decades.
And for him, it is a bittersweet milestone.
He is quoted as saying: “To be honest, today I am excited for this platform. But yes, I’ll say that I am also sad for theatres. After all, movies are theatres’ first birth right. But in the current situation, everyone’s safety is of utmost priority. Today with theatres being shut and people watching movies on OTT platforms, if I can make my fans happy by releasing film on Disney+Hotstar—which is a big platform with a massive reach—then I am glad.”