As T&T gets ready to celebrate 56 years as an Independent nation, citizens are being urged to take note of the law as it pertains to the use of fireworks.
It reminds that the Commissioner of Police or any authorized Police Superintendent may grant permission prescribing the time, place and conditions for the use of fireworks in a town.
They can also at any time, cancel or vary such permission.
If you plan to use fireworks, it is urging that proper permission be sought.
As for the actual use of fireworks, it is advising persons to:
• Never light fireworks indoors or near dry grass.
• Always have a bucket of water and/or a fire extinguisher nearby.
• Stand several feet away from lit fireworks. If a device does not go off, do not stand over it to investigate it. Put it out with water and dispose of it.
• Always read the directions and warning labels on fireworks. If a device is not marked with the contents, direction and a warning label, do not light.
• Supervise children around fireworks at all times.
• If possible keep pets indoors. If you prefer to keep your pets outside, take steps to ensure their enclosure/kennel is comfortable and securely locked.