8PM Update from the TTMS
At 8:00 pm today, the center of Potential Cyclone Two was located near 8.8ºN latitude 51.6ºW longitude or about 1080 km East of Trinidad.
The system is moving toward the west-northwest near 18 mph (30 km/h), and this general motion is expected to continue for the next few days.
On the forecast track, the system will pass near or over portions of the southern Windward Islands by late Tuesday.
As a result, Trinidad and Tobago remains under a Tropical Storm Warning.
An Orange Level Alert is in effect from 8PM on Tuesday to 5pm on Wednesday.
A Tropical Storm Warning means that storm conditions are likely over the warning area within 36 hours.
Periods of heavy to intense showers and/or thunderstorms are likely, which can result in rainfall accumulations in excess of 3 inches.
Gusty winds in excess of 70km/hr can be expected.
These wind gusts are capable of breaking tree branches, displacing unsecured roofs and loose outdoor objects, and can even topple over unhealthy trees.
The risk of landslides/landslips is likely in areas so prone and sea conditions can become occasionally rough.
Persons are advised to:
- Prepare to protect lives, livelihood, and property.
- Plan your evacuation to a shelter if it becomes necessary.
- Always have emergency supplies of food and water on standby.
- Secure loose outdoor items and livestock.
- Do not wade or drive through flood waters.
- Pre-position sandbags if your area floods and monitor river levels.