Bohemian Rhapsody was the surprise winner of two major prizes at yesterday’s Golden Globe Awards.
The Freddie Mercury biopic took home the trophies for best film drama as well as best drama actor for Rami Malek, who played the late frontman.
Despite being heavily favoured and nominated for five prizes, A Star Is Born, starring Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper, took home just one award – best original song for Shallow.
The night’s other big film winner was Green Book which claimed three prizes: best musical or comedy film, best screenplay and best supporting actor for Mahershala Ali.
Set in the 1960s, Green Book tells the story of an African-American musician who hires an Italian-American driver to take him on a tour of the Deep South.
These Golden Globes victories now mark it out as one of the favourites for next month’s Oscars.
Here’s a list of winners in the key Golden Globe categories:
- Best film drama – Bohemian Rhapsody
- Best film comedy or musical – Green Book
- Best actor in a film drama – Rami Malek (Bohemian Rhapsody)
- Best actress in a film drama – Glenn Close (The Wife)
- Best actor in a film comedy/musical – Christian Bale (Vice)
- Best actress in a film comedy/musical – Olivia Colman (The Favourite)
- Best TV drama – The Americans
- Best TV comedy – The Kominsky Method
- Best actor in a TV drama – Richard Madden (Bodyguard)
- Best actress in a TV drama – Sandra Oh (Killing Eve)
- Best actor in a TV comedy – Michael Douglas (The Kominsky Method)
- Best actress in a TV comedy – Rachel Brosnahan (The Marvellous Mrs Maisel)
- Best limited TV series – The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story
- Best actor in a limited TV series – Darren Criss (The Assassination of Gianni Versace)
- Best actress in a limited TV series – Patricia Arquette (Escape at Dannemora)